Raisin, Peach and Pistachio Lamb Pulao
Half a cup of slivered almonds
3 tbsp pistachio, roughly chopped
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup grated carrot, on the rough side
- 1 heaped tbsp cardamom pods, slightly cracked
- 1 cup raisins
- Half a cup of roughly chopped dried peach
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1kg lamb, cut into small pieces
- 2 medium sized onions, grated
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp whole clove
- 1 black cardamom pod
- 7 whole green cardamom pods
- 1 x 2cm piece of cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 3 tsp ground garlic
- 2 cups basmati rice
- Wash and drain the rice and boil in salted water. Rinse and set aside until ready to use.
- Toast the almonds and pistachios in a pan until they emit a nutty aroma. Be sure to toast each nut individually, just until it’s slightly brown.
- In the same pot, heat 2 tsp of oil over a medium heat and cook the carrots for 3-4 minutes and add the raisins. Add half a tsp of cardamom powder and cook for a minute.
- Remove the carrots into a bowl. Add the oil into the pot and cook the onions until well caramelised.
- Add the meat with salt, garlic, black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon and cumin seeds and cook for 2 hours on low, adding half a cup of water every 20 minutes.
Once the meat is fully softened, remove the meat from the liquid and strain the broth and keep aside.
In another pot, caramelize 3 tsp of sugar until it is a light nutty color and add in 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom powder and 1 tsp of garam masala powder.
- Add in the reserved liquid and set aside.
- Place the rice in a large pot and add the broth over the rice, mix and top with sprinkled cardamom and garam masala.
- Place meat over the rice in a single layer. Add the reserved carrots, raisins and chopped peach on top of the meat.
- Cover pot tightly with a kitchen towel and lid. Cook for 15 minutes on a medium heat them steam for a further 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the toasted slivered almonds, pistachios and Raisins and dried apr